2024 GRAMMY Award Winners Announced
Ten classical recordings, by artists such as Yuja Wang, Julia Bullock, and Gustavo Dudamel, were honored at the 66th award ceremony
The 2024 edition of the GRAMMY Awards has recently come to a close in Los Angeles, California. There are eight categories specifically for recordings of classical music, as well as a further two categories honoring engineers in the classical field.
You can read the full list of classical winners below:
- Best Orchestral Performance went to Gustavo Dudamel and the Los Angeles Philharmonic for their recording of Thomas Adès's ballet Dante.
- Best Opera Recording went to Yannick Nézet-Séguin, Ryan Speedo Green, Latonia Moore, and Eric Owens; and David Frost, producer (with The Metropolitan Opera Orchestra and The Metropolitan Opera Chorus) for their world premiere recording of Terence Blanchard's opera Champion.
- Best Choral Performance went to Nils Schweckendieck, the Uusinta Ensemble, and the Helsinki Chamber Choir, for their recording of Kaija Saariaho's work Reconnaissance.
- Best Chamber Music/Small Ensemble Performance went to Rough Magic by Roomful of Teeth.
- Best Classical Instrumental Solo went to Yuja Wang with conductor Teddy Abrams for their work on The American Project with the Louisville Orchestra.
- Best Classical Solo Vocal Album went to Julia Bullock with conductor Christian Reif for their work on Walking in the Dark with the Philharmonia Orchestra.
- Best Classical Compendium went to Alex Brown, Harlem Quartet, Imani Winds, Edward Perez, Neal Smith, and A.B. Spellman, with producers Silas Brown and Mark Dover, for their work on Passion for Bach and Coltrane.
- Best Contemporary Classical Composition went to composer Jessie Montgomery for her work Rounds, which featured Awadagin Pratt, A Far Cry, and Roomful Of Teeth.
- Best Engineered Album, Classical went to engineers David Frost and Charlie Post, as well as mastering engineer Silas Brown, for Contemporary American Composers (Riccardo Muti/Chicago Symphony Orchestra).
- Producer of the Year, Classical went to Elaine Martone for her work on Santiago Cañón-Valencia's album Ascenso.
For the full list of winners in all genres, click here.
You can watch conductor Teddy Abrams accepting the award for Best Classical Instrumental Solo on behalf of pianist Yuja Wang below.